Wednesday, December 12, 2018
Random MLB Facts You Never Knew
1. When Jimmy Pearsall hit his 100th home run in 1963, he ran the bases in the correct order but facing backward to celebrate.
2. Babe Ruth's top salary was $80,000 (in 1930 and 1931). Adjusted for inflation, that's the equivalent of a little more than $1.1 million today (a little less than middle reliever Antonio Bastardo made last year).
3. During World War II, the U.S. military designed a grenade to be the size and weight of a baseball, since "any young American man should be able to properly throw it."
4. Pitcher Jim Abbott was born without a right hand and had a 10- season baseball career, including throwing a no-hitter for the New York Yankees vs. Cleveland in 1993.
5. Bobby Richardson won the World Series MVP in 1960 after hitting .367 with 12 RBIs - he played for the losing team.